Wednesday 28 March 2012

Tetsubin, the perfect cuppa.


A few weeks ago I was reading an artical about Tea and the proper way it should be bought, brewed and drunk. I found it facinating that there was such a exact science to how long tea should brew for or at what temperature it should be at when drunk. I of course have broken all the rules when it comes to tea, I brew it in a mug, have 1 sugar and milk-tut tut. One nuggest of brewing history that stuck in my mind though was a a piece of Japanese tea culture. They brew their tea in a cast-iron teapot called a Tetsubin, essentially this reduces chlroine levels and the tea soaks into the walls so after many years you can just add water and make a perfect cuppa!


So I went hunting for a Tetsubin, or just a cast iron teapot. I know there is place in Covent Garden along Neal Street that sell them, but apart from that I could really only find some on eBay, Amazon or Etsy. The particular example from Etsy is around £700....apparently it's a really good teapot, but I love that bobble effect so was determined to find one a wee bit cheaper. After a serious amount of hunting I found some in Macy's (not very near I know) but they look cute and would make a real statement in any Kitchen! I want to try this out just to see after 10 years I can stop buying tea bags...I think I would be a millionaire.
Sophie xo


No comments:

Post a Comment