Monday 20 February 2012

Squint & London Transport Upholstery

I am constantly on the look our for some quirky furniture ideas. I like to think I am pretty nifty with a hammer and some tacks, and could upholster something to a pretty good standard! If i'm honest, before I did a short course in upholstery I would of taken on a sofa...now i'm not so sure! A footstool took many hours, a lot of cursing and my tutor did most of it, but none the less, I like to think I could take on a large challenge one day, hence why I always have my beady eye out for clever furniture revamps. 


Now, this one isn't exactly something I would do at home. It's garish wouldn't go with anything but white walls, and if i'm honest it's just not my cup of tea, but damn it's fine!! As you may have guessed, I really like London Transport, so this chair has some of my favourite things (no singing please) the tube, upholstery and somewhere comfy to put my bum while I drink tea. Like I say, the colours are a bit whacky for my taste, but the beautiful shapes of the pieces, and the use of reclaimed tube moquette fabric just appeals to every bit of me! I am particularly a fan of the frequent use of Misha Black (the District line pattern of orange and brown stripes used in 1978) one of my favourite moquettes! These pieces are a collaboration between Squint Limited and London Transport Museum that where shown at last years Tent London exhibition. If you love the idea behind the design, check out Squint Limited's website for more beautiful, wacky furniture. 
Sophie xo

No comments:

Post a Comment