Monday 23 July 2012

Lauren DiCioccio - sewnews




I don’t know how many of you have ever tried embroidery but heres a small tip, it's really hard. It take hours to get into the rhythm of a pattern and it rquires a lot of patience to get the hang of it – especially when you have fat fingers like me! Which is why I admire Lauren DiCioccio's work so much, this girl has some serious patients! I especially love her project called sewnews, the idea is to reflect on the newspaper, and to focus on the idea that the paper has now become a nostalgic piece, what with the internet and t.v giving us our hourly news updates. She picks a paper (often The New York Times) and finds an image that is powerful, she then wraps the paper in a layer a muslin and starts sewing. I love the fluid, incoherence of the pieces, they have an unfinished quality to them, which only adds to their appeal. The faces are always spot on and by using a layer of different threads she creates a realistic portrait of the person or object. I love this entire project, and it really inspires me to get creative! Shame I can't buy one so it can sit above my desk and have it inspire me constantly! View all of her amazing work here.
Sophie xo








No comments:

Post a Comment